Friday, September 28, 2007

Strange Experience!

Assuming most of you know, for the past nine months I've been working for IHC. Some of my duties consist of providing cancer education to our staff, patients and the community. I've been in charge of organizing monthly cancer education classes for the remainder of the year. The topic for this month's class was "Erectile Dysfunction: Exploring Treatment Options" Yeah, I am still immature and blushed like a teenager at the topic. The class was held on September 27th and taught by our ED expert and Nurse Practitioner. We only had a handful of men show up to this class (90% of men with ED don't seek help) discussing a topic that I am assuming will be embarassing to all of us. Our expert is a cute energetic woman in her late 30's who was tellin' it like it is, with her penis props all over the room on display:) All of my feelings of embarassment were suddenly washed away. I was completely engaged in this presentation among a room of men who can't get erections, and the best part was (woman/men) were talking completely free and open with all our reservations out the door. I even touched a penyle implantation..I laugh to myself still, but was extremely greatful these men were able to find answers to their sexual problems. You would be amazed at the alarming statistics among our prostate patients who suffer from these problems..more than 50%..
This was my maturing,yet proud moment of the week.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Somehow I can't envision you able to keep a slight smirky grin off your face during the presentation.

Laura and Ashley said...

That's amazing. And hilarious. Its only a matter of time before they have you giving these presentations. I'm glad your job is opening your eyes to these important topics of discussion.

carolyn said...

What a experiance for you. I don,t think this little olegrandma would have done so well.

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

Hey Carlee--I have one question: Why have your last 2 entries been about genitalia? I'm just teasing you. I have fun reading your blog. I would turn bright red if I had to talk about this stuff. At least you're not involved in direct patient care. Then you would see these parts up close and personal every day like I do. :)

whit said...

Wow Carlee..you are all grown up. I think thats really cool that your doing this. Thats great and its a bit funny. Wish I could see this sometime.